Monday, September 10, 2007

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I got this recipe from my friend Holly, a fellow food-loving mom. This soup has a yummy homemade taste without a lot of "homemade" effort. Easy and delicious.



Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 cup or more cooked, shredded chicken
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 cup wild rice mix, cooked

~Saute celery, carrots, and onion in butter until onions are golden and veggies have lost their crispness. Add flour and stir-cook for a few minutes to soften the flour "taste". Add everything else and heat through. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.

This recipe is totally adaptable too. For example, I didn't have any milk when I made this soup the other night so I just used extra chicken stock.

For the bread I used about 1/2 loaf of Italian bread and sliced it down the middle. I mixed equal parts butter and mayonnaise together along with some chopped green onions. I spread it on the bread and then topped with an Italian blend shredded cheese. Then I sprinkled with a little bit of garlic salt and basil. I baked it at 350 until it looked done...I don't know the exact time. It was really, really yummy.

No comments: