Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Turkey Pot Pie

I had a turkey in my freezer bought after Thanksgiving and I needed to use it. So, for leftovers, I made a turkey pot pie that was really good. I thought I'd share the recipe. (there technically isn't a recipe, but these are pretty good approximations of what I did...feel free to tweak whatever you want.)



Turkey Pot Pie

1 smallish onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced

Saute these in butter until softened.

2 cans chicken broth
2 smallish red potatoes, diced

Add to veggies and bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and allow potatoes to soften.

2 cups shredded turkey
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour

In a separate pan, coat turkey in butter and flour and allow to heat through; add to veggies. Bring to a boil.

1/2 cup milk

Add to veggie/turkey mix and heat.

Add some frozen peas just before putting into your pie crust.

You will need to add some cornstarch/water mixture to get the thickness you want.

Put your pie crust in a greased pie plate and fill with filling. Top with another pie crust and crimp down sides. Cut a couple of slices through the top of the crust to let the steam vent.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15-minutes, then turn down the heat to 350 and cook another 15-20 minutes.

No comments: